By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
You know Mom always said, “You can’t fix stupid.” And I will have to believe that when I see all these people still gathering in public places. Now all the people are being let off the two cruise ships in Florida, where are they going to go to disperse this virus in all directions?
Back to my first sentence, this applies to more people than you might think. I don’t understand how some people function, they don’t have the common sense God gave a goose and say one thing this week and change it next week. If you are going to have a policy, stick with it. I know stupid is an ugly word but sometimes there is not another word to describe the things people do and why they do them.
I am not the brightest bulb in the pack but I do have enough common sense to do a job and do it to the best of my ability. Momma Said, “If you are going to do something don’t do it half way, it is all or nothing.”
In these times of crisis please try to help each other but keep yourself and others safe. Keep all the sick in your prayers and love in your heart. Laughter is the best medicine so stay positive and take a walk in the sun. Momma Said, “Of course keep social distance but do try to stop and smell the flowers.”
Everything in one bowl and that’s it. You can use “extras” or invent your own. Some suggestions: chopped almonds, walnuts, pecans or peanuts, dried blueberries, cherries, cranberries or raisins & chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick or instant)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup of “extras” – I like chopped toasted walnuts, almonds &
- pecans, dried cherries & chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Line a 9” x 9” square pan with 2 criss-cross sheets of parchment paper (not foil) leaving extra overhang on all sides.
- Combine oats, brown sugar, coconut and extras in a large bowl.
- Combine honey, oil, and vanilla in a measuring cup.
- Add honey mixture to oat mixture and combine well.
- Spread in baking pan, pressing down very firmly, takes about a minute. Try pressing down with the back of a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan. (takes about an hour to cool on a cooling rack)
- Remove from pan (using parchment handles) to cutting board. Remove paper and cut into bars.