Electronic monitoring ordered

PARSONS – Tucker County Magistrate Carol Irons accepted two motions Thursday in the case of Thomas man facing one count of night time burglary.

Terick J.D. Hays, 32, of 156 Third St., Thomas, was granted a bond modification from $20,000 cash only to $20,000 personal recognizance. Under terms of the modification, Hays will be under electronic monitoring. Hays also waived his right to a preliminary hearing.

“The state is not opposed to a modification of the bond to include electronic monitoring,” Tucker County Prosecuting Attorney Ray LaMora said. “I know Mr. Hays is still working to get the financial aspect set up. He does have a child being born today. We don’t want to keep him from that, but there was an allegation he was possibly leaving the state. That’s why the warrants were served at the time they were.”

LaMora said he wanted to make sure there was some type of security to make sure Hays will be in court.

During the hearing, Hays’ attorney, Eric Hensil took a cell phone call and when he hung up from the call, he notified Hays that he could not be released until Friday. Hays began to sob at the news.

“They probably are not going to let you go to the hospital,” LaMora said. “But when she (the baby’s mother) comes home, after the baby is born, you will be able to see her.”

“That’s a lot better than sitting in jail and not being able to see the baby at all,” Hensil said, as Hays continued to sob.

According to the criminal complaint, Hays allegedly prepared a two-page written statement describing how he had forcibly broke into and entered a residence in Thomas as well as the items he stole and where he took them after leaving that residence.

During an interview, Hays allegedly stated that he used a pry bar to enter through the back door of the victims’ residence at approximately 3 a.m. and the items he took from that residence, according to the criminal complaint.


By Beth Christian Broschart

The Parsons Advocate

more recommended stories