By Jennifer Britt
Parsons City Council Member and Chairman, Timothy Auvil, of the Water/Sewer Committee set forth a motion to request $50,000 be allocated from the upcoming William M. Harman Memorial Fund distribution meeting to have the engineering done for a new water system improvements project. The project will replace water/sewer lines in the following areas: Center Street from Luflin Street to Sherman Street, Central Avenue, Buckhannon Street, Peachtree Lane, Billings Avenue including the trailer court, Pennsylvania Avenue, everything on Walnut Street and Main Street beyond 3rd Street. The project will also include a six inch extension from Smoky Hollow to the motel. Over the past 13 years 75% of the city’s lines have been replaced. This project would nearly replace the remaining 25%.The Committee is meeting with the City of Parsons to figure the best course of action to cover the cost of new lines.
In addition to the water system improvement project, the Committee received a quote from Citco Water for $209,400 for 840 “drive by” radio read transceivers for all water meters including installation, computer and software support. The new meters will conserve resources for the City of Parsons allowing fast and accurate readings. Funds for this project will come from the monies left from the allocation of the VacnTruck with the American Rescue Plan.
In the matters concerning the Parsons Emergency Water Preparedness and Resiliency Project, Chief Water/Sewer operator John “Red” Lipscomb explained an alternate location for the booster station suggested by WVDOH is suitable for the city’s needs. The location is on the Bretz side of the Blackfork River with a shorter distance to bore under than the original location. A written agreement for purchase or lease will need to be signed by WVDOH and all parties necessary.
The committee is awaiting a $1.6 million Senator Manchin Appropriations fund to coincide with other grants, loans, and contributions for the Sewer Systems Improvement Project. The committee will research and discuss at length the best way to utilize the $1.6 million additional funding and combine it with the original project once funding is approved.