By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
Freya Bleu is growing quickly and she is into everything. I’ve had to take her to the vet because the person I got her from emailed and said one of her littermates had coccidia. Coccidia are a single cell parasite that infects the intestinal tract of animals causing diarrhea, vomiting, fever, muscle pain and can affect the nervous system. It is not something to mess around with.
She has been a little lethargic since I got her and of course the diarrhea but I got meds from the vet and hopefully she will get over it. It takes a couple weeks so I will keep you posted. She has made up with Gracie and Katy Kat but Amber/aka/Mud Puppy not so much yet. I think it is just a little too much excitement for the ole girl. Momma Said, The young should respect their elders or get taught a lesson the hard way.” A little nip on the snout never hurt anyone.
We have a spectacular fall around here this year, the colors are beautiful. We haven’t had much color the last few years but we had a good hard frost awhile back and that did the trick. That is the first time we have had a frost this early in the year for more than five or six years. Global warming is affecting everything.
I don’t know if the early frost is any indication of what our winter will be like this year but last year we didn’t have enough snow to worry about even shoveling a path. I don’t think I had my boots on all winter. Tennis shoe weather in West Virginia is not what winter used to be like that is for sure.
CARAMEL RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 10 ounces Werther’s soft caramels
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 8 cups rice krispie cereal
- Unwrap each caramel and put in a large pot over low heat. Add salt, butter and sweetened condensed milk.
- Allow mixture to sit and heat over low heat until fully melted. Stirring occasionally until well combined.
- Once fully melted add the marshmallows and continue to stir the mixture till they are fully melted and mixed in.
- In a large bowl add the cereal. Then pour the caramel-marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Using a lightly greased spatula mix the cereal and gooey mixture together till well combined.
- Spread the cereal treat into a lightly greased 9×13 dish. Allow to cool and firm up. Cut into bars and enjoy.