By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
I am so tired of this political stuff I could gag. Everyone and their brother are throwing their hats in the ring for president. West Virginia is going to have someone run for the first time in history I think. He was a decent governor, a somewhat okay senator and I guess he is as good as anyone else running for president. Momma Said, “If you are not going to do something essential for the country just stop wasting our time and everyone else’s money.”
These “candidates” are raising enough money that will probably be filtered off in some secret bank account that we could feed the world for years. I mean really how much does it cost to print up banners and placards? Selling some t-shirts and hats is just another way to waste American money.
I don’t see why they can’t just state their intentions and go about business as usual. If people are going to the poles to vote they probably have already made up their minds. All these rallies and parties have the candidates saying what they intend to do but most of the time it never comes to fruition. Once they are in office all the stuff they promised to do just flies out the window.
Nobody can predict what is going to be done once in office, it is one thing to preach about what you are going to do but it is something totally different once you are sitting behind that desk in the oval office. Momma Said, “These candidates need to practice what they preach and do what they say they are going to do.”
Cool Cucumber Slaw
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 CUP shredded red cabbage
- 1 TEASPOON olive oil
- ¼ CUP Greek Yogurt or sour cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ TEASPOON sugar
- 1 TABLESPOON chopped fresh dill
- ½ TEASPOON salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the red onion in small bowl and cover with cold water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to make the onion less pungent, and then drain and dry the onion with paper towel.
- Cut the cucumber into matchsticks by making thin diagonal slices across the cucumber and then cut each slice into sticks.
- Combine the cucumber, shredded cabbage, red onion, olive oil, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, fresh dill and salt in a bowl. Stir well and then season with freshly ground black pepper. Chill until ready to use.