By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
Well my sweet puppy Raven has successfully cost me more money. I stopped to get gas and it was only 5 degrees outside and I left my truck running, which is something I never do. I filled my tank and attempted to enter my vehicle and the door was locked. She was looking at me through the window with that sweet face and I just hung my head.
Thankfully I had my phone in my pocket and had to call a local towing company to come unlock my door. That was $45 I was not planning to spend. Luck have it, my auto insurance will cover the fee so I just have to wait for the check. Having a puppy that has to keep you in sight at all times can be a bit of a hassle but that is the price I must pay I guess. Momma Said, “Having a puppy is like having a two year old, on the move all the time.”
We have finally been hit by an old fashion winter, snow, blistery winds, slick roads and more snow. It has been some time since we have had an extended period of cold, nasty weather. I think we really need some cold weather to kill all the bugs that live around us. We have been inundated by fleas and ticks in this area and hopefully this will slow the spread of these deadly critters.
We have seen a rise in the cases of Lime Disease in this area and that is not good for pets or people alike. I try to keep my pets protected from this and all insect borne illnesses. It is always a good practice to keep pets up to date on all vaccinations as it is a responsibility of you as their owners. In this weather always make sure if they are outside that they have fresh water, a warm place to rest and plenty of food. Momma Said, “They are part of your family so treat them as such.”
Strawberry Brownie Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted (½ cup)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 15.25 oz. box strawberry cake mix
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. strawberry preserves or jelly
- 1 tbsp. milk
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a 8×8 or 9×9 inch glass pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Add in the strawberry cake mix and salt. Stir with a spatula to combine, the mixture will be thick.
- Transfer the batter to the pan, using a spatula to evenly press the mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is puffy.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before adding the glaze.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the powdered sugar, strawberry preserves and milk, stirring until combined.
- Once the brownies are cool, spread the glaze over the brownies.
If you let the glaze set for a few hours the brownies won’t be as messy to cut.