This time of year I really miss being on a farm. I see the baby animals being born and I feel like I am missing out. When I had my farm and animals, I spent every minute I could with them especially at calving time. I felt like I needed to be there for them if they needed help, which most of the time they didn’t. It was fun for me to be in with the babies and let them get to know me from the start. Momma Said, “First impressions are the most important.”
This was the time of year that I would start cleanup on the farm. Winter always seemed to make such a mess of things. Now I just have my yard to clean up and that is a real mess. I think the back yard where the dogs are is a lost cause. I come home at night and am met at the back porch by something that resembles a dog. I am not sure anymore. I do not know how one dog can get that dirty. I am wondering if she has a little pig in her DNA. As a matter of fact, I have seen pigs that don’t get as dirty as this dog does.
I am tempted to shave off all her hair and then she will be easier to clean up. If it wasn’t so cold I would turn the hose on her before she comes inside. As it is I am cleaning both of them with towels and then doing a load of laundry every night. I think I will start saving all the dirt I sweep up after them and use it to plant a garden this summer. This is one dog I don’t think I will ever understand.
It is my choice to have them indoors some of the time, but I just wish they would adhere to the guidelines like wipe your feet before coming inside, don’t chase the cat and clean up all your food. I guess two out of three isn’t bad because the cat fights back and no food ever goes to waste at my house. Momma Said, “Live and let live I guess.”
SWEET AND SPICY CHICKEN BACON WRAPS
- about 1¼ pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1½ pounds bacon
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 T chili powder
- ½ t cumin
- Preheat oven to 375 degree. In a large mixing bowl, combine⅔cup dark brown sugar, 2 T chili powder and ½ t cumin. Mix well.
- Clean and trim about 1¼ pounds of skinless boneless chicken breast. Cut into approx. 1 inch cubes.
- Cut the bacon in half, roll around the chicken cubes and secure with a tooth pick. This is the point to cover and refrigerate for better timing.
- Prep baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a rack on top and spray with PAM.
- Roll the pieces in the brown sugar mixture. Be sure to pack some in the ends. Place on the rack.
- Bake until golden brown. About 35 minutes. Cover with foil on heavy dish to keep warm until served.