Mother’s Day is only two weeks away and I urge everyone who still has their mother with them to show her the respect she deserves. Momma Said, “A man may work from sun to sun but a woman’s work is never done.” And that sure applies to moms everywhere. I have never met another woman who worked as hard as my mother did. I don’t know were she got the energy to get everything done, but she never left a job undone.
She could get more done in half a day than most people could do in two days. I feel bad because I feel myself slowing down and it just kills me to think I can’t do what I used to do. I hate to think of myself as old but my poor body is showing signs of coming apart at the seams. Anyone who could come up with a cure for aches and pains without being spaced out of your mind on drugs could make a fortune.
I look back on all the old Star Trek movies and wish I had one of those machines they used to diagnose illness or injury. Just insert one broken body and out comes a fully functioning one in no time. Momma Said, “That is what I need, a complete do over.” I need to trade-in for a newer model, not the mind just the body. I’m sure one of these days you might be able to do that but that will be beyond my time.
I guess you make do with what you have and make the best of things. Nothing is made to last forever, except a Mother’s love. You cannot destroy that with anything. Time may dim the memories but that feeling of your Mother’s arms around you will never fade. So this Mother’s Day don’t forget to give your mom a big hug and relish every moment you have with her.
Apple Upside-Down Cake
- 4-5 apples
- 1/4 cup +1 tbsp butter
- 7 tbsp sugar, divided
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 11 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter a 10-inch round cake pan.
- Peel apples and sprinkle lemon juice over them. Cut them into wedges, remove the core and slice.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add 5 tbsp of sugar and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture turns golden brown. Pour the mixture in the prepared pan and arrange the apple slices. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of sugar and add 1 tbsp of butter cut in small pieces over the apples. Cook in the oven until you prepare the batter for the cake.
- While the apples are in the oven prepare the cake batter. Separate egg whites from the egg yolks. Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg yolks, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
- Whip egg whites until very stiff and firm. Fold them into the butter mixture.
- Remove the apples from the oven and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Pour the batter over the apples and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it stand for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the sides of the pan and invert the cake onto a cake plate.
- Can be served as it is or with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!