I saw something this past week that would have made my mother throw the biggest “Hissy Fit” anyone has ever seen. I got to town a little early one morning so I decided to walk around the block for some exercise. About half way through my walk I observed a group of grade school children waiting for the bus. They were accompanied by three adults. All of the adults were on their cell phones and these children were destroying the landscaping of a local business.
I observed one juvenile female with a backpack on standing in front of a very nicely manicured bush and she just fell backward into it. It was appalling to watch this senseless destruction. Some of the other children were playing among the shrubs and were throwing the landscape rocks into the road. Not one adult said anything to these children and continued to talk on their cell phones.
This business is right along the highway and the owner keeps it up very well. It is a shame that the adults would let these children destroy something that did not belong to them. Momma Said, “Respect begins in the home and apparently these children do not respect anything.” I am sure they would not want someone to come to their home and destroy their belongings but apparently they just don’t care.
We didn’t have much but what we had we tried to keep pristine. If we would have done something like this, Mom would have skinned us alive. We were raised to respect others and not to senselessly destroy other people’s belongings. I just don’t understand what goes on in some people’s minds that if it isn’t theirs it just doesn’t matter. I wanted so badly to say something to the adults about this but sometimes you just have to pick your battles. All this took place before the business was opened for the day and I hope this may bring it to the owner’s attention and something will be done.
LEMON IMPOSSIBLE PIE
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F, and lightly grease and flour an 8 or 9-inch pie dish.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat sugar and eggs together until thick and ribbony, then mix in melted butter and milk.
- Mix in vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest, gradually mix in flour until just combined.
- Fold in coconut flakes, if using. (Note: if not using coconut, only add 4 tablespoons butter.)
- Pour batter into greased pie pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until center is just set, but still slightly wobbly.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool completely, then refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Once chilled, slice, serve and enjoy!