By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
I was watching television this past week and a commercial came on that had me sitting back and could not believe. It was a commercial for a doll with big eyes and a pretty outfit. The little girl was feeding it something that looked like oatmeal. The next shot shows the doll going to the bathroom on a little potty. The child lifts the dolls and the announcer says, “The doll that pees glitter and poops charms.” WHAT!!!
It showed the girl placing a small packet in the potty before the doll sits and somehow it is activated into this glittery looking goo. I guess the child has to dig through the pee glitter to find the poop charm. And yes folks a charm bracelet is included to show off all your poopy charms. Momma Said, “OMG.” Just what you want to teach an impressionable child, yes it is ok to dig through pee to find a prize.
I never played with dolls when I was growing up but my sisters had these dolls that you could make their hair grow. It had a knob on the back that you could turn and make her hair short again. I guess that was breaking the technological boundary back then. What happened to just having a doll to hug?
I know parents of children today do have some advantages from when I was a child but we made do with what we had. Me and my brother played in a pile of dirt and had a ball. We created towns and highways and planted sticks for our trees. Try asking a child today to go out and play in a pile of dirt, the neighbors would have Child Protective Services there so fast it would make your head swim. Momma Said, “A little dirt never hurt anyone, if that were true I would have been dead a long time ago.”
Chicken Doritos Casserole
- 2-3 cups of rotisserie chicken
- 1.5 cup creamed canned corn
- One cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of drained black beans
- 1 cup of cream of chicken soup
- One cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning
- ground black pepper
- Mix ingredients in a bowl until combined well.
- Roughly Crush Doritos into the base of the casserole dish. Layer mixture on top of Doritos base.
- Pop casserole into a 350F/180C oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and crush more Doritos and shredded cheese on top.
- Place back into the oven for a further 7 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley and chopped chilis optional.