By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
I hope everyone can take stock in the fact that Covid-19 took a big spike after the Thanksgiving travel rush. I pray that people take this into account and stay home for Christmas. The time spent with loved ones that you have to travel to see is not worth the risk of dying. There are so many ways today to stay in contact that travel is not the number one option. Momma Said, “Stay home and have the chance to see loved ones another time.”
Gran had to bury two of her three children before she died and that just about sent her down a spiral. If mom would have had to bury any of us before she passed it would have done her in. She was a strong woman but no parent should have to bury a child. That is something to think about before you travel. Everyone’s parents are very important to them but they don’t need to see you or anyone else in your family suffering.
We must get a handle on this beast and send it on its way. We have thousands of people a day dying and this will go down in history as the worst disaster ever. I don’t know the exact death toll around the world but this is something that must be eradicated. I hope the vaccines work and we can take a stand and say enough is enough.
At this time of year it is hard on families to be apart but just look what happened after Thanksgiving. Our health care workers cannot take much more. They need time to recuperate and get a handle on their own lives. I am sure some of them have not seen their own families in a very long time. Make this a season of hope by staying home and taking care of everyone from afar.
LEMON BLUEBERRY BREAD
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup sugar, juice and eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk. Fold in lemon zest, nuts, and blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Remove bread from pan and drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack.