By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
Well the old adage of March coming in like a lamb and going out like a lion still stands for 2021. March 1, 2021 it was 58 degrees and fair weather. March 31 it was raining snowing and blowing. Momma Said, “The old timers knew what they were doing.” We had a freeze warning for March 31 and April 1 so I hope the trees that have already starting blooming will be OK. This is a time of year where we can get multiple weather events in the same day, rain, snow and sunshine.
I am glad to see nature starting to wake up after a long winter. We had more snow in this area this past winter than we have had in a long time. I am glad to see it go. The daffodils are blooming, showing their bright yellow heads and we are seeing cherry and apple blooms as well.
I went once to the Tidal Basin in Washington, DC to see the cherry trees bloom and it was spectacular. There were people from all over the world there and now with the virus it would be too hard to go see them again. I visited DC quite a few times in my past and the only things I would like to see again would be the zoo and the cherry blossoms. The Smithsonian was quite a sight to see but we were in a rush the day we were there and I didn’t get to appreciate it as much as I would have liked.
The city is too busy for me and that is why I liked the zoo so much. It was just a place to slow down and observe all the beautiful animals, the big cats were my favorite. At the same time I was observing them, they were observing me and I just wonder if we are really the ones on display. Momma Said, “If you look from the other side of the cage bars maybe we are really the animals.” Just ponder on that for a moment.
Comments made in the year 1957 #1
This is the year I was born and I just wanted to share a few things that seem rather funny now:
- I will tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are it is going to be impossible to buy a week’s groceries for $20.
- I am afraid to send my kids to the movies anymore. Ever since they ley Clark Gable get by with saying “damn” in Gone with the Wind” it seems every new movie has either “hell” or “damn” in it.
- Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won’t be long before $5,000 will only buy a used one.
- If cigarettes keep going up in price I am going to quit a quarter a pack is ridiculous.
- Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?
- If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.
- When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we would be better off leaving the car in the garage.
I am sure a lot of you out there will remember some of these things and wish for the good old days.