By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
Mom would be so excited with the warm weather we have been having because that would make the ramps grow so fast. She would be old enough now that she may not have made it to the woods but I am sure she would have had me there digging for her. I could see it now, she would probably sit in the car and I would dig and intermittently bring her a basket full. She would sit in the shade and clean that basket while I went back to dig another. Momma Said, “Idle hands are the devil’s playground.”
She looked busy even when she was sitting still, which wasn’t often. She mowed grass in the rain and if it was too bad, she was doing something in the house. Cleaning, baking bread and even going to the hospital to give blood. She was so proud when she got her three gallon certificate. I was devastated when I found out I could not donate because of a childhood illness. I would have liked to reach her goal or even surpass it in tribute to her, but it is not in my cards.
She was the type of person that went out of her way to help someone. She was so giving and caring and I try to be like that myself. You hear that old adage that every time you try to do good it backfires on you, well that has happened to me on several occasions but I will not stop trying to be a good person. I helped an elderly couple the other day at the doctor’s office and I am sure if I hadn’t intervened she would have fallen. I just can’t stand by and not help someone in need, that is just inhumane.
I would like to think when my time comes for need of help that there will be someone that will step in and give me a hand. I try to see the good in people and only hope they will be kind enough to help. Momma Said, “You can only put your hand out and hope someone takes it.”
Comments made in the year 1957 #2
Just thought I would share some more things that seem impossible today:
- Kids today are impossible. Those ducktail haircuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls.
- If they think I will pay 50 cents for a haircut, forget it.
- I read the other day where some scientist thinks it is possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas.
- Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It would not surprise me if someday they will be making more than the president.
- I never thought I would see the day that all kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.
- It is too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are going to work to make ends meet.
Momma Said, “Did you ever think you would see the day.”