By Teri Cayton
The Parsons Advocate
Halloween is just around the corner and it was an exciting time for us when we were kids. Back then we did not have to worry about getting candy with razor blades in it. We didn’t have to wait until we got home to inspect it and we ate as much as we carried home. Besides candy we got fresh fruit and homemade goodies. Now people “don’t have time or better yet, make the time” to cook or bake anything.
This past week we had the Hunter’s Moon. It was so full and bright I can see where it got its name, it was so bright you could hunt all night. It was like daylight and so close it felt as if you could reach out and touch it. I have always been fascinated by the moon, it is so magical. On a clear night you can see the craters and mountains and it has been a great source of joy for me to just sit and look at it. Momma Said, “Maybe the Man in the Moon is calling my name.” Or maybe I am a werewolf and just don’t know it.
If I could get over the claustrophobia of being in the spaceship I always thought I would like to go to the moon or even to Mars. But I guess if that ever happens in the future I will be too old. Or the billionaires will take up all the seats. As if they did go on a space mission they would be useful for anything. Probably can’t even take the lid off the pickle jar.
I have always had an adventurers heart, just never did anything about it. I have wanted to go cross-country and see all the beautiful places in our country but here I sit dreaming about it. I really want to see the Redwoods before they are all killed by wildfires and so many other places our country has to offer. But, someday is always the standard answer. Unfortunately, someday is creeping up on me and I don’t even see it coming.
5 INGREDIENT MICROWAVE CARAMEL CHOCOLATE FUDGE
- ▢3 cups milk chocolate chips
- ▢1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk, full-fat
- ▢2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ▢25 caramels unwrapped
- ▢2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ▢Sea salt optional
- Line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper – do not skip this or you likely won’t be able to get your fudge out looking very nice.
- Combine the milk chocolate chips (or dark or semi-sweet) and the sweetened condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl. Stir together and microwave for 30 seconds then stir for 30 seconds. Microwave in bursts of 15 seconds stirring for 30 seconds in between until completely melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Spray a spatula with nonstick cooking spray and smooth the chocolate fudge.
- Quickly rinse out and dry the bowl. Combine the unwrapped caramels and heavy cream in the bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds then stir for 30 seconds. Return the mixture to the microwave and microwave in bursts of 15 seconds stirring for 30 seconds in between until completely melted.
- Pour the caramel over the chocolate evenly.
- If you want a chocolate caramel swirl fudge, prepare the two layers at the same time (so they are both melted at the same time lay down the chocolate and then immediately (because it hardens quickly) pour the caramel over in vertical lines. Using a butter-knife swirl the layers together.
- If desired top the fudge pieces with sea salt.
- Cover tightly and place in the fridge to harden/set up overnight.
- Cut the fudge with a hot wet knife.
- Store any leftover fudge in an airtight container in the fridge.