Ramp season is upon us again so let the stink begin. I never could stand to eat them myself. Lots of people say they have medicinal properties and who am I to say any different. The old folks say they thin the blood after a long winter and I have heard others say they detoxify your whole body. Momma Said, “All I know for sure is that they really stink.”
I can’t think of ramps that I don’t think of Mom. She sure did love to get in the woods and dig all day. She sold some and gave away most but it sure was something she loved to do. I will never forget the last time I went with her to the mountain. She got so tired but she didn’t quit until she had her basket full. It is funny how you remember the little things. It was very important to her to go one last time and I am so glad I could be with her. It is something I will cherish always.
The rain we have been getting is beneficial to everything except my backyard. Mudpuppy is turning one year old this week and she is about 55 pounds of dirt and grime. I have never had a dog that liked to get dirty just for the fun of it. She will curl up in the middle of a rainstorm and sleep in the mud. I get so mad at her because I have to do a load of laundry every night I get home and clean her up before she can come in the house. I think I am officially changing her name.
I hope everyone had a great Easter and didn’t eat too many pickled eggs. I hope the kids enjoy the Easter break I know some schools opted to forego the break so they can get out earlier when school is over. Either way, I hope everyone stays safe and has fun. It is had to believe that in just two months another school year will be over. Momma Said, “Time is flying by at an astronomical rate.” Make the best of it while you can!
MAGIC CUSTARD CAKE
- 4 eggs (Whites separated from the yolks), room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk, lukewarm
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 320 degree. Line a square cake pan with baking paper.
- Separate the eggs. Add the egg whites to a mixer and beat until egg whites are stiff. Place beaten egg whites in a bowl and set aside. Beat egg yolks and sugar until light in color. Add butter and vanilla.
- Beat 2 minutes. Add flour and mix it until fully incorporated. Slowly add the milk and beat until everything is well mixed together. Add the egg whites, a third at a time and gently fold them in using a whisk, repeat until all egg whites are folded in.