It is that time of year when another batch of fresh faced graduates embark on new adventures. The world is their oyster and I am glad it is not me going on the new adventure.
Momma Said, “Once was enough for me.” I do wish I had done what I was going to do when I graduated and joined the military. I could have retired with a 20 year pension at the ripe old age of 38 and still had plenty of time to do other things.
I guess that is easier said than done now. At the time, we were not at war with terrorism and all the other conflicts going on today. It would be a difficult decision to make in today’s turmoils. I have to commend anyone who takes that path at such a young age. For some it is family tradition, for others it may not be a choice but a responsibility they feel they must fulfill.
I have the highest regard for all our military members, past and present and commend them on their sense of duty. It is a badge of honor and I hope God holds all of them in his benevolent hands. I feel for the families of fallen soldiers, but they can take pride in the fact that their family member died defending the best country in the world. Momma Said, “Semper Fi!”
As Memorial Day approaches, I hope everyone remembers the thousands of soldiers that died in the defense of this great country. The active members of our armed forces need prayer and comfort from home. They may be thousands of miles from home, but they still need to feel their sacrifices are for not. They need our support and love now more than ever, so send up a prayer for everyone guarding our shores from the brutalities forced upon us by others
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 c. flour
- 2 c. water
- 2 c. sugar
- 6 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 (6 oz.) package strawberry jell-o
- 3 lbs. strawberries, cleaned and de-stemmed
- *If you are using a shallow pie plate, cut filling recipe in half.
- Mix butter, sugar, and flour and press into a greased deep pie plate. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15, until lightly browned
- Bring water, sugar, and cornstarch to a boil, stirring, until thick and clear.
- Remove from heat; add strawberry jell-o.
- Mix well and cool.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Store in refrigerator until set; serve with whipped cream.