SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.VA. — Due to overwhelming success, the West Virginia State Parks Ultimate Adventurer and Junior Adventurer Challenges are now available through Dec. 31, 2021, bringing more opportunities for adventure to the fall and winter seasons.
The challenges were created to lead adventurers of any experience level on a series of outdoor explorations throughout the West Virginia State Parks system. Outdoor enthusiasts are encouraged to participate in the Ultimate Adventurer Challenge, and families with kids are encouraged to participate in the Junior Adventurer Challenge.
To date, nearly 1,000 people have participated in an Adventurer Challenge.
“These challenges have generated a lot of excitement among travelers to our parks,” said West Virginia Department of Tourism Secretary Chelsea Ruby. “We want the exploration to continue across the fall and winter seasons, so we encourage everyone to join in and post photos as you complete each challenge and become one step closer to a chance at free state park lodging for a year.”
Here’s how to participate:
- Choose either the Ultimate or Junior Adventurer Challenge and fill out the form at WVstateparks.com/adventurerchallenges.
- Receive a challenge card in the mail.
- Complete each challenge and get the card stamped at any park office or gift shop.
- Post photos as you complete each challenge on Twitter or Instagram with #AlmostHeaven and #WVstateparks.
- Turn the challenge card in at select West Virginia State Parks gift shops and receive an exclusive gift pack or junior challenge medal and certificate.
Ultimate Adventurer Challenge participants will receive an exclusive gift pack and be entered to win a free year of state park lodging. Each child who completes the Junior Adventurer Challenge will receive an exclusive West Virginia State Parks Adventurer Challenge medal and certificate. To receive the gift pack and giveaway entry or medal and certificate, participants must turn in a completed challenge card at one of the following West Virginia State Parks gift shops:
- Blackwater Falls State Park
- Chief Logan State Park
- Hawks Nest State Park
- Pipestem Resort State Park
- Twin Falls Resort State Park
- Tygart Lake State Park
“Our staff has really enjoyed experiencing the excitement of people who complete these challenges and turn in their cards at our gift shops,” said West Virginia State Parks Deputy Chief Brett McMillion. “The challenges have resulted in more traffic to certain areas of our parks and forests and ignited a joy for exploring the outdoors for many families. It’s a great thing to witness and we’re very happy to continue the adventures through December 31.”
All information about the Ultimate Adventurer Challenge and Junior Adventurer Challenge can be found at WVstateparks.com/adventurerchallenges.