I heard someone ask a very funny question this week, “How does a dragon blow out birthday candles?” I guess that would be kind of hard for the dragon to do. It is so strange how people can think of things like this. It must take an analytical mind to come up with a question like that. I sometimes see things differently than other people and have to ask, “What if?”
Mom had a way of looking at things that most people would overlook. She was very observant and seemed to know things before they happened. Maybe that was just my kid mind trying to think ahead of her. We could never do anything in our small town that Mom didn’t know about before we got home. It must have been the “Mom Grapevine.”
Moms seem to have that sixth sense when it comes to her kids. She always knows when something isn’t right and Mom must have had a seventh and eighth sense because she knew about everything. Momma Said, “Momma knows best!” We never did unearth the information pipeline in town but you knew better than to do something you were not supposed to be doing.
I think it was because in that time moms paid more attention to their kids and we didn’t spend our time sitting in our rooms playing video games or on the phone. We were out so more people could see us and if you were at a friends house and did something wrong it didn’t matter, their mom would paddle your butt. Then when you got home you would get it again. I don’t think getting my butt paddled affected me as an adult today. We never got hurt and it did teach us right from wrong. Momma Said, “Spare the rod and spoil the child.”
Cranberry Lemon Muffins
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups fresh whole cranberries (do not chop)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat together yogurt, sugar and eggs.
- Add lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Stir in oil.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking powder.
- Gently fold flour mixture into wet ingredients, Stir until just moistened.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.